Re: introduction

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 52 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 52 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

At Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:06:16 -0800 (PST), Tom Lord wrote:
> [*] What exactly is a "Unicode character?"  The answer can vary
>     depending on context.  In some contexts it might mean a Unicode
>     abstract character -- the kind of value to which a codepoint
>     (integer in the range 0..10ffff) is assigned.  In other contexts,
>     it may mean certain kinds of sequences of abstract characters.
>
>     One goal for SRFI-52 is to remain agnostic about the answer
>     to that question.

I'm still relatively new to unicode, so I apologize if this is a
foolish question (rtfm ptrs welcome!), but I wonder why you would want
to remain agnostic on this point. Can you explain why unicode-code
points would be a bad choice, and what other choices might exist?

Thanks,
Robby