specifying source encoding (Re: strings draft)

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 50 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 50 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

From: Alex Shinn <foof@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: strings draft
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 10:45:37 +0900

> I was just suggesting it can be useful to have a way to specify the
> character encoding of Scheme source, a separate issue from locale, much
> like the XML:
>
>   <?xml encoding="utf-8"?>
>
> However, in retrospect SRFI-10 is a poor way to implement this because
> it means you can't read the whole list and then dispatch on ENCODING.
> Probably best to directly copy XML style and have something similar to
> SRFI-22 specifying the encoding at the top of the file, perhaps hidden
> in a comment a la Emacs:
>
>   ;; -*- encoding: UTF-8 -*-

Programming in multiple encodings, I've been thinking this for a while.
Currently I'm looking at using comment or some special directive like
(declare (source-encoding "utf-8"))

Python adopted encoding-specifying comment, e.g.

    #!/usr/bin/python
    # -*- coding: <encoding name> -*-

see http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0263.html for the details.

--shiro