Re: strings draft

    > From: Alex Shinn <foof@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

    > At Sun, 25 Jan 2004 19:01:52 -0800 (PST), Tom Lord wrote:

    > > Just consider me as having walked around in the commons for a while
    > > carrying a big sign that says "Don't make lame implementations of
    > > Scheme strings."

    > This is not helpful, you're just insulting Bear's and Shiro's
    > implementations which are perfectly valid and have their own advantages
    > over Pika.  Scheme should be about encouraging diverse implementations.

I agree about encouraging.

So far as I know, the details I've heard about Bear's are such that I
would consider it to conform to the guidance.   So I certainly don't
think I insulted his.

I'm not aware enough about the details of Shiro's.  All I'm (sort of)
aware of is that he's dealing with a EUCJP -- which sounds very
challenging if you want to wind up with an implementation suitable for
intensive string processing.   (Unicode is similarly challenging.)

I think I probably insulted Perl and Python, though.

-t