Re: strings draft

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 50 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 50 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Paul Schlie <schlie@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> There's a distinct advantage to keeping the character set in which the
> language is specified in (and is capable of processing itself), distinct
> from the character set it can utilize to process arbitrary language text,
> as otherwise it becomes too easy to then rationalize utilizing characters
> specified within the broader character set within program code, which would
> then truly needlessly limit the code's portability, from both a machine as
> well as human perspective. (As I don't believe it's productive to anyone to
> attempt to interpret code utilizing symbols written/spelled in arbitrary
> languages and corresponding character sets; but is clearly useful to enable
> portable programs to be written to process such arbitrary text).

Then these little program-representing thingies should not be called
"characters".  I don't know what the right word is, but it should be
miles away from "character".  If this is the interpretation you wish
to offer of what is called a "character" in R5RS, then we have a
problem: Scheme *has no* characters of any sort, though it does have a
simulacrum which is good enough for implementing the Scheme language.

But it seems obvious to me that this is *not* what was in the minds of
the R5RS authors.  I think they conceived of the R5RS character as not
merely a thing for writing Scheme programs, but as roughly the "same
thing" as char in C or Pascal.

Thomas