Re: strings draft

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 50 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 50 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

"features"?  It's basically ASCII, as such useful beyond Scheme because
it's sufficient to process most text written in English, which is fine by
me; but arguably insufficient otherwise.

There's a distinct advantage to keeping the character set in which the
language is specified in (and is capable of processing itself), distinct
from the character set it can utilize to process arbitrary language text,
as otherwise it becomes too easy to then rationalize utilizing characters
specified within the broader character set within program code, which would
then truly needlessly limit the code's portability, from both a machine as
well as human perspective. (As I don't believe it's productive to anyone to
attempt to interpret code utilizing symbols written/spelled in arbitrary
languages and corresponding character sets; but is clearly useful to enable
portable programs to be written to process such arbitrary text).

-paul-