Re: strings draft

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 50 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 50 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Tom Lord <lord@xxxxxxx> writes:

>     > In Turkish, i-with-dot capitalizes to I-with-dot.  If you map i->I,
>     > then you get this wrong, for Turkish.
>
> Did you actually read the c.l.s. post?

I told you, please either reproduce the argument or give me a specific
referenc.  "The c.l.s post" is rather a vague description, I'm afraid,
and I simply don't have time to read every one and then figure out
exactly which one you are referring to.  I did read some, and guessed
what you were referring to already, and guessed wrong.  So please help
me out.

>     > Sure.  But since we can easily make a draft that doesn't have this
>     > problem at all (by dropping case-mapping as a char-by-char thing
>     > entirely) we can fix it.
>
> Not really.  Whether "char at a time" or "string at a time", `list' is
> not the (linguistically) ci equivalent of `LIST' in -TR locales.

As I have said, one needs to specify a specific standard locale, and
then say what the behavior of that locale is, with regard to the
characters required to exist for specifying programs in the language.

Thomas