Re: when GC is permitted

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 50 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 50 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Richard Kelsey wrote:

>    From: tb@xxxxxxxxxx (Thomas Bushnell, BSG)
>    Date: 11 Jan 2004 15:37:24 -0800
>
>    This is would be the first SRFI to say "if your Scheme is too fancy,
>    you can't implement this."
>
> Nope, that honor belongs to SRFI-0.  SRFI-0 assumes that a
> Scheme implementation implements a fixed set of SRFIs that
> are all always available.

That is not true.  Here is an excerpt from SRFI-0:

    Moreover, in some systems a given feature may be in effect
    throughout the entire program if it is in effect anywhere at all.
    Other systems may have more precise mechanisms to control the
    scope of a feature (this might be the case for example when a
    module system is supported).  In general it is thus possible that
    a feature is in effect in some parts of the program and not in
    others.

>  There is no sensible way to
> implement it in a system with optional modules, as are found
> in PLT and Scheme 48.  This was pointed out during the
> discussion period and it was finalized anyway.

A perfectly valid view of cond-expand is that it tests if, at the
location of the cond-expand, a particular feature is available.
SRFI-0 does not say how to make features available and what their
scope is, it only says how to test for their presence.  Compile-time
switches, module systems, or SRFI-7 could be used to specify which
features must be available.  This decoupling of feature inclusion and
feature testing allows a module to be written in a style where it
operates correctly in different contexts (availability of one feature
or another or none).

> There may be others, but SRFI-0 is definitely the first.

But cond-expand is a portable 35 line R5RS macro.  How can you say it
is difficult to implement in any reasonable Scheme system?  I know
that you don't want to implement it in Scheme 48 because you disagree
with the philosophy behind it, and I respect that, but that is very
different from saying that it is technically difficult.

Marc