Re: Strings/chars

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 50 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 50 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Jim Blandy <jimb@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Okay, "all the data" is overstating it.  What I was trying to say is
> that almost every system will end up having facilities for converting
> to and from the C execution character set anyway, independent of the
> SRFI, so having the SRFI require it will rarely be an additional
> burden.

Well I agree with the substantial matter: that it's rarely an
additional burden; moreover, when it is an additional burden, it's not
a very big one.  (That is, in the systems I contemplate, there are a
jillion conversion functions *anyway* for a bunch of external codings,
and one of them is certainly ASCII, etc.)

Thomas