Re: Strings/chars

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 50 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 50 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

tb@xxxxxxxxxx (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) writes:

> Jim Blandy <jimb@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Implementing this behavior can't be a burden on the Scheme
> > implementation, since it had to get all the data from the outside
> > system anyway, and it was almost certainly already in the program's C
> > execution character set when it arrived.
>
> This is not true.  A scheme system might perfectly reasonably directly
> read files in whatever encoding, and handle network streams in
> whatever encoding, without ever thinking of them as C characters in
> between thinking of them as octets and thinking of them as Scheme
> characters.

Okay, "all the data" is overstating it.  What I was trying to say is
that almost every system will end up having facilities for converting
to and from the C execution character set anyway, independent of the
SRFI, so having the SRFI require it will rarely be an additional
burden.