Re: I don't believe in "(may GC)"

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 50 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 50 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Richard Kelsey <kelsey@xxxxxxx> writes:
>    If I'm using some exotic string representations (I'm working on a
>    functional-splay-tree string type for Pika) -- same deal:
>    extract-string may take some (possibly GC-causing) work.
>
> This does worry me (it's listed in the 'issues' section of the SRFI).
> I think we went overboard here.  Something like
>
>     SCHEME_EXTRACT_STRING_CONTENTS(scheme_value, index, count, buffer)
>
> which copies 'count' characters starting from 'index' into 'buffer'
> would be better.  Presumably this can be done without GCing.

For what it's worth:

The Xerox PARC Portable Common Runtime had "ropes", which were a
tree-based string representation that could include portions whose
contents were computed lazily, by calling a function when they were
referenced.