Re: no constants please

Tom> If the root set is large, certainly it should be traced in several
Tom> steps, using barriers to preserve its invariants.

Is there a practical example of a system that does this?  It seems
very difficult to do, even absent an FFI to C, as your typical root
set---the current continuation---changes *all the time*.  (I'm really
curious.  I could never wrap my mind around this.)

In 1997, I developed the prototype for this FFI concurrently with
hooking RScheme's incremental collector into Scheme 48, so there's
some evidence that the FFI works with incremental collection in
principle.

Because of what you just said? :-)

--
Cheers =8-} Mike