Re: no constants please

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 50 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 50 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

   Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 17:31:31 -0800 (PST)
   From: Tom Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>

   To reiterate -- I'm not convinced, now that I've noted you require
   GCPROtection of parameters in functions that may cause GC -- that
   Pika-conventions actually have more overhead.

Right.  Efficient C code is the reason I prefer the proposed SRFI's
mechanisms to a JNI-style indirection.  Clarity of code is why I
prefer it to a Pika-style syntax.  Neither of these decisions is
defensible from first principles; it's a judgement call.  As I said
earlier, in some instances I would prefer to use a JNI-style mechanism.

                                         -Richard Kelsey