Re: no constants please

   Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 17:31:31 -0800 (PST)
   From: Tom Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>

   To reiterate -- I'm not convinced, now that I've noted you require
   GCPROtection of parameters in functions that may cause GC -- that
   Pika-conventions actually have more overhead.

Right.  Efficient C code is the reason I prefer the proposed SRFI's
mechanisms to a JNI-style indirection.  Clarity of code is why I
prefer it to a Pika-style syntax.  Neither of these decisions is
defensible from first principles; it's a judgement call.  As I said
earlier, in some instances I would prefer to use a JNI-style mechanism.

                                         -Richard Kelsey