Re: handling multiple scheme instances

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 50 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 50 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

    > From: Michael Sperber <sperber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

    Tom> Every function should take an extra parameter which
    Tom> represents the particular Scheme instance under
    Tom> consideration.  I might be running two different Scheme
    Tom> worlds in one process.

    > Can't you handle this implicitly? Or do you need to switch
    > between instances along a single call chain?

I'd prefer to be able to mix them, for example to be able to write
primitives which perform communication between them.

I think of them as comparable to the DISPLAY* parameters in Xlib.

It is a trade-off, I admit, between register pressure and fast/easy
access to instance-specific state.

-t