Re: target applications

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 50 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 50 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Tom Lord <lord@xxxxxxx> writes:
> Between character issues, string and string index issues,
> no-reasonable-way-to-support-writable-shared-strings/vectors, and so
> on -- it seems clear to me that a portable FFI is never going to be
> able to compete with a native FFI for some tasks.

Gee, that's not clear to me at all.  I think the SRFI-50 text as
proposed is a very useful thing.  It has two problems I'd like to see
solved:

- As proposed, SRFI-50 constrains the system to be single-threaded, or
  at least to collect only when all threads are at safe points.

- There's the issue of how to give the result of SCHEME_EXTRACT_STRING
  and similar things a useful lifetime.

Since there have already been posted solutions to each of these that
would suit me, I think it's a bit early to declare the problem too
hard and walk away.