Re: target applications

Tom Lord <lord@xxxxxxx> writes:

> Between character issues, string and string index issues,
> no-reasonable-way-to-support-writable-shared-strings/vectors, and so
> on -- it seems clear to me that a portable FFI is never going to be
> able to compete with a native FFI for some tasks.

But I think it is a reasonable goal to have it that the portable FFI
is a "common subset" of all the native FFIs.  Perhaps ultimately
unachievable, but wouldn't it be nice?

Even if all the big interesting uses still get into the non-portable
bits, portability is vastly improved by a common framework and large
amounts of overlap.

Thomas