Re: target applications

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 50 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 50 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Tom Lord <lord@xxxxxxx> writes:

> Between character issues, string and string index issues,
> no-reasonable-way-to-support-writable-shared-strings/vectors, and so
> on -- it seems clear to me that a portable FFI is never going to be
> able to compete with a native FFI for some tasks.

But I think it is a reasonable goal to have it that the portable FFI
is a "common subset" of all the native FFIs.  Perhaps ultimately
unachievable, but wouldn't it be nice?

Even if all the big interesting uses still get into the non-portable
bits, portability is vastly improved by a common framework and large
amounts of overlap.

Thomas