target applications

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 50 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 50 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

I wonder if it wouldn't be valuable to identify some target
applications for the FFI?

Between character issues, string and string index issues,
no-reasonable-way-to-support-writable-shared-strings/vectors, and so
on -- it seems clear to me that a portable FFI is never going to be
able to compete with a native FFI for some tasks.

At the same time, the bar can be pretty low for what a portable FFI
has to be able to do to be very useful.

Maybe we could pick a couple of libraries that exhibit common
requirements (conversion to and from basic C types, common cases of
flow of control, error handling and reporting) and aim to include in
the SRFI reference bindings for those libraries using the FFI.

-t