Re: New draft

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 48 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 48 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On Wednesday 31 December 2003 06:04 am, Alex Shinn wrote:
>..
> Two minor comments:
>
> This doesn't have the fix for properly handling newlines in ~A.  It
> should pass the test
>
>   (format "~A~A~&" "\n" "") => "\n"

The text of ~&, freshline, is:

"output a newline character if it is known that the previous output was not a
newline"

An implementation is not required to detect all instances of newline output.
So, while non-optimal, the implementation is correct.  [I will change the
code to detect this case, however.  Thanks].

> Also ascii-tab is written first "ascii-tab" then "ASCII-TAB", which
> doesn't work on Schemes that default to case-sensitive readers.  It
> wouldn't be worth supporting such non-standard behavior in general,
> but since most people consider it good style not to change the case of
> identifiers the reference implementation should probably use a
> consistent case.

Sorry.  I thought I had caught all of these.  [The standard still specifies
case insensitivity, but I am aware of the problem].

Thanks for catching these,
-KenD