Re: Format strings are wrong

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 48 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 48 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Gentlemen, with all due respect, and understanding that the following
thoughts may be best expressed in an alternative SRFI; but Upon reviewing
the discussion archive, I feel compelled to voice support of Marc's
opinions; as I don't believe  C'ish embedded numerical format string hacks
actually materially help porting code, or are particularly favored by folks
who are familiar with C; but actually reduce the potential simplicity and
efficiency of mixed text/numerical string formatting which the language
could and arguably should otherwise encourage.

Possibly something along the lines of simply adopting the notion that:
(str-fmt ....) [or (string ...) be extended] to accept mixed string, symbol,
character and numerical arguments, and produces a string resulting from the
concatenation of its argument's string equivalences, by simply converting
its arguments into strings if they're not already strings, using
(number->string ...) or (symbol->string ...) etc.

(define how-many 3)
(define of-what 'apple)

(str-fmt "I ate " 1/2 " of an " of-what ".") -> "I ate 1/2 of an apple."

(str-fmt "I have " how-many " " of-what (if (not (= how-many 1)) "s") ".")

-> "I have 3 apples."

etc..

Which is likely sufficient for many things and fairly simple and intuitive.
When more numerical format control is desired, it would seem most straight
forward to simply define a more explicit generic (num->str ....) format
function, which could support parameters such as how to treat signs, digit
separation, field justification, leading/trailing zeros, significant digits,
etc. Possibly:

(num-fmt num-value '(['+|'p] ['s|'z] ['c N] ['m M] ['r R] ['e E]))

[+|p] specifies sign formatting:
    + : signed values:      +1 0 -1
    p : paren'ed negatives:  1 0 (1)
      : default signed neg:  1 0 -1

[s|z] : leading/trailing fill
    s : space leading/trailing fill _1012 12.0__ (_ = space)
    z : zero leading/trailing fill  01012 12.000
      : default none specified (reals always have at least one
        digit leading and trailing the decimal point)

[c N] : N digit comma separator from radix point:  12,423,233.032,343,
      : default none specified

[m M] specifies integer/mantissa digits of significance:
    m 0 : default representation significance, left justified, no fill
    m M : uses M max digits of significant right justified, no fill

[r R] specified the integer/mantissa radix
    r 0: defaults to decimal
    r R: specifies maximum radix digit value (radix - 1)
    (where exponent values print showing xRADIX^decimal-exponent
     i.e. 1.23x10^+32, or 1.0110x2^32, etc)

[e E] specifies minimum number of decimal exponent digits
      which are sign-prefixed etc....

Or something like that so that when more sophisticated numerical formatting
is required, one could define pre-cooked format definition and use it:

(define my-fmt (list '+ 'z 'c 3 'm 6 'r 10 'e 2))
(define my-num 1/4)

(str-fmt "unformated: " my-num ", formatted: " (num-fmt my-num my-fmt))

-> "unformatted: 1/4, formatted: +0.25000x10^+00"

Or something like that, thanks for your time and consideration.

-paul-