Re: floating point and other comments

At Sun, 21 Dec 2003 16:45:37 +0100, Ken Dickey wrote:

> [3] The complied reference implementation is compact:
> 	mit-scheme  format.com    8864 bytes  -- bytecode
> 	gambit         format.so     16448 bytes -- cross-compiled to C
>
> I have not done the work, but it I would guess that supporting ~w,dF would at
> least double the size of the reference implementation.

Attached is a modification to the reference implementation that adds
support for ~w,dF (and thus also lays the groundwork for other format
chars to take parameters) and incurs less than 50% increase in size
(inlining some SRFI-13 procedures and not particularly optimizing for
size):

  mit-scheme  format.com    12336 bytes  -- bytecode

It also modifies ~A to properly detect newlines for cooperation with ~&.

--
Alex