Re: floating point and other comments

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 48 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 48 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

At Sun, 21 Dec 2003 16:45:37 +0100, Ken Dickey wrote:

> [3] The complied reference implementation is compact:
> 	mit-scheme  format.com    8864 bytes  -- bytecode
> 	gambit         format.so     16448 bytes -- cross-compiled to C
>
> I have not done the work, but it I would guess that supporting ~w,dF would at
> least double the size of the reference implementation.

Attached is a modification to the reference implementation that adds
support for ~w,dF (and thus also lays the groundwork for other format
chars to take parameters) and incurs less than 50% increase in size
(inlining some SRFI-13 procedures and not particularly optimizing for
size):

  mit-scheme  format.com    12336 bytes  -- bytecode

It also modifies ~A to properly detect newlines for cooperation with ~&.

--
Alex