Re: floating point and other comments

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 48 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 48 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On Saturday 20 December 2003 09:56 am, Alex Shinn wrote:
> One minor question, what case does ~x use for hexstrings?  R5RS
> doesn't specify this for number->string.  An interesting extension
> some schemes use is to use the case of the x (i.e. distinguish between
> ~x and ~X).

I would prefer that the case of ~X matches the case of the hex characters, but
can't specify more than R5RS here.  Note that the reference implementation
maes use of NUMBER->STRING.

> Also, the spec says it is an error to pass fewer arguments than
> needed, but is it ok to pass more arguments?

I consider it useful to detect this as an error, but there are other sensible
ideas.  E.g. one possible return value for FORMAT is the list of unused
arguments.

I prefer that FORMAT invoke ERROR rather than failing and returning #F, as
SLIB specifies.

However, I prefer to leave FORMAT's return value unspecified in srfi-48 and
come to concensus on an advanced format srfi.

Cheers,
-KenD