Re: floating point and other comments

Ken Dickey wrote:

On Thursday 18 December 2003 03:55 am, Alex Shinn wrote:

... I think that an intermediate format should at least ... include
support for floating point formatting with ~F (I think ~E and ~G would
be advanced).

I agree with your motives, but as a scheme implementation is not required to support floating point, I can't see adding such support here.

So what?  A Scheme implementation isn't required to support format.
Besides, ~F isn't restricted to "floating point".  It's obviously
useful for "fixed point" as well ... or generally any Scheme
implementation that supports non-integer reals, exact or in-exact.

I think an "intermediate format" that doesn't support "~8,2F" is
missing the boat.
--
	--Per Bothner