Re: Various things

Am Wed, 26 Nov 2003 00:35:55 -0800 (PST) hat bear <bear@xxxxxxxxx> geschrieben:

I think I agree that SRFI-48 format strings (effectively borrowed from
C) aren't the best fit for a lispy language.  But there is a space they
serve very well - When combined with the argument position qualifiers,
they allow relatively easy translation of software - where you change
just the format strings, and none of the rest of the code.

As a variation of practice that people have had long experience with
in C, I don't think they're a serious problem.  If the design were
abjectly broken, I/O in C would have more trouble and pain than it
has.

This may not be the best way to do it, but it's a useful library for
portability and translatability.  I don't think it would be the right
thing to build directly into the runtime, because better libraries
for closely related tasks can exist.  But it's still a useful library.

Oh, I have to problem with `format', I use it myself quite a lot
(and if it's only for that nifty "~{ ... ~}"). What I found curious
is that we have now two "simple" format's (one final, one
draft). Why not go for the full thing?

cheers,
felix