Re: Various things

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 48 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 48 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Am Wed, 26 Nov 2003 00:35:55 -0800 (PST) hat bear <bear@xxxxxxxxx> geschrieben:

I think I agree that SRFI-48 format strings (effectively borrowed from
C) aren't the best fit for a lispy language.  But there is a space they
serve very well - When combined with the argument position qualifiers,
they allow relatively easy translation of software - where you change
just the format strings, and none of the rest of the code.

As a variation of practice that people have had long experience with
in C, I don't think they're a serious problem.  If the design were
abjectly broken, I/O in C would have more trouble and pain than it

This may not be the best way to do it, but it's a useful library for
portability and translatability.  I don't think it would be the right
thing to build directly into the runtime, because better libraries
for closely related tasks can exist.  But it's still a useful library.

Oh, I have to problem with `format', I use it myself quite a lot
(and if it's only for that nifty "~{ ... ~}"). What I found curious
is that we have now two "simple" format's (one final, one
draft). Why not go for the full thing?