Re: SRFI-47 -- types and declarations.

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 47 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 47 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

 | Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 21:15:43 -0800 (PST)
 | From: bear <bear@xxxxxxxxx>
 |
 | On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Aubrey Jaffer wrote:
 |
 | > | Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:58:30 -0800 (PST)
 | > | From: bear <bear@xxxxxxxxx>
 | >
 | >Uniform arrays are just that -- uniform!  If you want to mix exact and
 | >inexact numbers in an array, just make its type be vector.
 |
 | Okay.  That's a decision.  Good.  So let's make it explicit.  I have
 | three specific suggestions for making that clear in your SRFI.
 |
 | First, I'd suggest that if you have an inexact number, you can store
 | it in a uniform array of inexact numbers, and retrieve an inexact
 | number from the location where you stored it.  But since there is a
 | chance that the number you retrieve won't be equal? to the number you
 | stored, this document needs to say so.  This doesn't have to be an
 | error -- in fact I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be -- but you need to
 | say so explicitly.
 |
 | Second, I'd suggest that if you have an exact number, and an
 | exact-number typed array, then any operation involving the array that
 | would result in a roundoff, wraparound, or truncation of that number
 | or the array contents ought to be an error.  You shouldn't be able to
 | store an exact number and then retrieve from that location a number
 | that's not equal?  to the one you stored, nor add two exact numbers
 | from an array and get an answer that's not the answer you'd get if you
 | added two exact numbers from a vector.  In specifying representation
 | you are not giving implementors any "wiggle room" to switch to
 | different representation in order to give exact results where they are
 | otherwise required, so you need to be explicit that operations which
 | don't *allow* exact results within the specified representation type
 | (overflow, wraparounds, roundoffs, etc) are errors.
 |
 | Finally, I'd suggest that if you have an inexact number, and you try
 | to store it in an array of an exact numeric type, or vice versa, that
 | should be an error.  If people want automatic type conversions on
 | store, they're easy to implement on top of the arrays you've
 | specified, any problems they introduce needn't be your fault and
 | needn't be behavior users can't get around.

Thanks for the suggestions.  Does this specify them:

 * All the elements of arrays of type au8, au16, au32, au64, as8,
   as16, as32, or as64 are exact.

 * All the elements of arrays of type ar32, ar64, ac32, or ac64 are
   inexact.

 * The value retrieved from an exact array element will equal (=) the
   value stored in that element.

 * Assigning a non-integer to array-type au8, au16, au32, au64, as8,
   as16, as32, or as64 is an error.

 * Assigning number larger than can be represented in array-type au8,
   au16, au32, au64, as8, as16, as32, or as64 is an error.

 * Assigning a negative number to array-type au8, au16, au32, or au64
   is an error.

 * Assigning an inexact number to array-type au8, au16, au32, au64,
   as8, as16, as32, or as64 is an error.

 * When assigning an exact number to array-type ar32, ar64, ac32, or
   ac64, the procedure may report a violation of an implementation
   restriction.

 * Assigning a non-real number (eg. real? returns #f) to an ar64 or
   ar32 array is an error.

 * An implementation may reduce the precision of a number assigned to
   an inexact array.

 | >Two's-complement integers are in widespread use and well understood.
 | >The type-checking enforced by uniform-arrays has proven to be a
 | >benefit to debugging large-data-set numerical algorithms.
 |
 | Hmm, that brings up another question -- at the point where it becomes
 | useful for the programmer to *know* individual bits of representation
 | such as whether the number is represented as twos-complement, you're
 | dealing with a hardware interface -- frequently, that means type
 | punning based on bit patterns being interpretable as varying numbers
 | of different types.

There is no hardware exposed.  Inexacts are stored in whatever form
the implementation uses.  Exacts are stored twos-complement.  The
semantics of twos-complement representation are not
hardware-dependent.

 | One thing I haven't seen addressed with make-shared-array is whether
 | you're going to allow type punning.  IOW, can two arrays of different
 | types share storage?  Can I have, say, an array of au64's that shares
 | space with an array of 8 times as many au8's and with an array of 64
 | times as many at1, and manipulate the contents of the au64 array by
 | frobbing with its individual bits-n-bytes through the at1 and at8
 | interfaces?

Make-shared-array returns an array with the same type as its first
argument.

 | That could be very useful for implementing hardware interfaces and
 | FFI's, but I don't think the operation is sufficiently described and I
 | can't tell for sure here whether it's a functionality you intended to
 | provide.

That would expose endianness and data formats.  SRFI-47 does not do
that.

 | > Assigning a non-integer to array-type u8, u16, u32, u64, s8, s16,
 | > s32, or s64 is an error.
 |
 | > Assigning a negative number to array-type u8, u16, u32, or u64 is an
 | > error.
 |
 | > Assigning a non-real number to a r64 or r32 array is an error.
 |
 | By non-real, you mean to say, complex or imaginary?  Or do you mean to
 | say, integral or rational?

No.  (real? <number>) ==> #f

 | According to R5RS, some real numbers are integers, and some are not
 | integers.  Some real numbers are exact and some are inexact.  So
 | for compatibility with the rest of the language, could you please
 | describe these specifically as exact and inexact, rather than just
 | giving a hardware type?  The problem is that in some
 | implementations you have such things as exact floats or inexact
 | rationals or integers, and people will want to store 'em in your
 | typed arrays.

I believe the new restrictions language above does this:

 * All the elements of arrays of type au8, au16, au32, au64, as8,
   as16, as32, or as64 are exact.

 * All the elements of arrays of type ar32, ar64, ac32, or ac64 are
   inexact.

 | > Uniform arrays don't favor interpreters over compilers, they can just
 | > make the performance difference negligible.
 |
 | I think the same may be said of optional declarations.  At least I'm
 | not sure why it wouldn't be so.

Declarations enforced by an interpreter add additional overhead; they
go slower.

Thanks for the suggestions.