Re: Choose-Your-Own-Ellipsis

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 46 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 46 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Hmm.  I just found a problem with this 'choose-your-own-ellipsis'
device.

In improving Andre van Tonder's monadic CPS macro stuff, I wrote an
MSYNTAX-RULES.  When this discussion came up, I changed it to work
with the 'choose-your-own-ellipsis' thing (with the first option --
optionally specify it before the list of literals --).  MSYNTAX-RULES
is defined to expand

(msyntax-rules ellipsis ()
  ((ignored . pattern) (macro . args))
  <real ellipsis, i.e. any number of the clauses>)

(syntax-rules ellipsis ()
  ((ignored (k ellipsis) . pattern)
   ;; Allow for multiple continuations, for possible branches.
   (macro (k ellipsis) . pattern)))

and expand

(msyntax-rules () clause <real ellipsis>)

(msyntax-rules ... () clause <real ellipsis>)

But I found this problem: should the user not specify the ellipsis,
and let it default to ..., how will MSYNTAX-RULES deal with it?  I
can't have one of the clauses in the macro be

    ((_ ?literals
        ((?ignored . ?pattern) (?macro . ?args))
        :::) ;; we specified ::: for the ellipsis of the definition of
             ;; the MSYNTAX-RULES macro
     (msyntax-rules ... ?literals
       ((?ignored . ?pattern) (?macro . ?args))
       :::))

because then the ... that might be in ?PATTERN or ?ARGS would be
hygienically renamed.  I could, of course, use Al* Petrofsky's hack to
substitute an identifier in a syntax object(? list? expression? what
do you call those things in SYNTAX-RULES?  'Syntax object' is what you
call the first-class Scheme values that represent syntactic things in
SYNTAX-CASE, but that doesn't seem right for SYNTAX-RULES, where it's
not first-class Scheme values that I'm talking about), but that would
not let anything else generate MSYNTAX-RULES macros (as with the
LOOP-WHILE problem of Al* Petrofsky's LOOP example).

Am I missing some macro magic here, is there a problem with choose-
your-own-ellipsis, or should the implicit ... stuff be thrown away?
The last option would break lots of macros, and it would look rather
ugly to me, but I can't think of a better way to solve this.  Opinions
or comments, anyone?