Re: Ellipsis in the _pattern_

On Friday, Oct 10, 2003, at 20:53 US/Eastern, bear wrote:

It would certainly be possible to do it using an additional identifier;
An "obvious" choice, which is a legal identifier according to R5RS,
would be :::  .

I like this one.  What do some other people think?

                 Other "obvious" choices which are legal identifiers
include <...> or /.../ .  The first of those two is particularly tasty
because it allows a general "nested" syntax; you could use
<<...>>, <<<...>>>, etc, for more layers of nesting.

I don't like the angle bracket idea. Not only would the 'nested' stuff be additional unnecessary syntax, but I don't see a reason why you'd need to
nest it at all: it's not like if you put it in the template it would
generate anything weird if you didn't use <<...>> etc.

One thing to remember though, is that an ellipsis matches anything
in the code it's matching against -- including another ellipsis.
So there may actually be no issue here.

I'm not sure what you mean here.  Could you please elaborate?

				Bear