Re: Fundamental design flaws

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 09:26:11AM -0800, Bradd W. Szonye wrote:
> scgmille@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > The problem here is that the generic inter-collection operators
> > (add-all, etc) are too useful.
>
> How are they more useful than just using lists as an intermediate form?
> Define a translation to and from lists, and you can handle most of the
> generic operations that SRFI-44 supports. Sure, the performance will
> suck in some cases, but that's already true for SRFI-44 as specified.

Performance and efficiency.  Imagine a five-million element sequence.
Converting to a list, then back requires you to have 15 million elements
active in your scheme, or in general 1/3 more memory than is really
necessary.

I'd like to know what beyond lacking collection specific shortcut
functions is inefficient in the current SRFI.