Re: Fundamental design flaws

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 44 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 44 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 09:26:11AM -0800, Bradd W. Szonye wrote:
> scgmille@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > The problem here is that the generic inter-collection operators
> > (add-all, etc) are too useful.
>
> How are they more useful than just using lists as an intermediate form?
> Define a translation to and from lists, and you can handle most of the
> generic operations that SRFI-44 supports. Sure, the performance will
> suck in some cases, but that's already true for SRFI-44 as specified.

Performance and efficiency.  Imagine a five-million element sequence.
Converting to a list, then back requires you to have 15 million elements
active in your scheme, or in general 1/3 more memory than is really
necessary.

I'd like to know what beyond lacking collection specific shortcut
functions is inefficient in the current SRFI.