Re: API conflicts

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 44 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 44 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

scgmille@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Actually theres a third argument, too.  Is it really an error, or a
> branch?  I would argue is the latter.  Its not so much that the
> absence thunk is there 'in case something goes wrong'.  Its more like
> those operators are acting as conditionals, returning one value when
> the collection can provide it, and evaluating the thunk if it cannot.
> This is the semantic argument.

That's why it "raises an exception" rather than "signals an error."
While it isn't necessarily an error, it is an exceptional condition,
because the procedure can't supply the requested data.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd