RE: A possible solution?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 44 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 44 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Bear wrote:
> I do dispatch and OO programming all the time in scheme, and I don't
> use any of the popular "OO" frameworks because it's so simple to do
> OO programming that there's really no need for them.

I do this myself - but it doesn't work well if the goal is to build up a set
of interoperable libraries across a community.

> SRFI-44 does not need to depend on any OO framework or library to get
> dynamic dispatch based on the collection type.
> Therefore consider as a possibility, a vector a few dozen elements
> long.  Let the first element, at index zero, contain a symbol that
> And it'll work.  Immediately.  And it'll be totally clear to
> everybody how to write collections that this interface can use.

This could make a nice reference implementation.  It's not completely clear
to me whether you're also suggesting that this should be something that the
spec requires of implementations, though.  I don't see the need for it in
implementations that already provide a generic dispatch mechanism - it would
only add overhead.

Anton