Re: Reasons for withdrawal

scgmille@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> <sigh> I have not claimed the SRFI is ready for finalization, only
> that its more constructive to discuss the remaining issues and fix
> them than to withdraw, delaying a concrete collection for a year.

1. The SRFI process is not for preliminary ideas. If there are several
   major issues to resolve, you're *supposed* to withdraw the proposal
   until you've worked them out.

2. Withdrawal is not supposed to delay anything by a year. You can
   potentially resubmit in 30 days and finalize 60 days after that -- IF
   you resolve all of the issues that led to withdrawal in the first
   place.

3. The desire to get a SRFI finalized and to build on it is *not* a good
   excuse to rush into finalizing an immature proposal.

4. SRFI-44 clearly meets the definition of an "immature proposal."

> If you'll notice, in the last posted draft, vectors are purely mutable
> sequences, so they in no way conflict with R5RS.   This was fixed at
> the same time that ! and !! were merged.

And you're making these revisions 6 months into the draft period. Even
if you ignore summer break, that still clearly meets the definition of
an immature proposal that must be withdrawn.

> Its statements you make like this that keep me arguing so strongly
> with you.  You seem hell bent on withdrawal, making up reasons such as
> these that have already been addressed.

That's because withdrawal is the right thing to do in this situation.

>> There have been *plenty* of other exception-handling systems in other
>> languages, but that didn't excuse SRFI-34 from providing a complete
>> implementation. You two need to demonstrate that *your*
>> implementation works.

> SRFI-34 didn't provide a complete package.

How so? It's entirely usable on its own. It provides everything that
primitive C++ exceptions give you, for example.

> It provided the mechanism, defering to 35 for the datastructure, which
> itself defered to 36 for concrete instances of the datastructure.

Those aren't necessary to use SRFI-34.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd