Re: Interface view of dictionaries

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 44 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 44 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 01:53:48PM -0700, Bradd W. Szonye wrote:
> Whoah, NOT agreed. This is that "academics, not engineering" attitude
> again, except that efficiency concerns are important even to academics.
> This is important stuff, and I'd appreciate it if you stopped sweeping
> things like efficiency and usability under the rug. Leaving it for later
> is OK, but pretending that they're just "implementation details" is not.

I'm not saying efficiency is unimportant, but the job of a specification
is to describe semantics, but to do so in a way that doesn't preclude
efficient implementation.  You don't have to use the spec to beat
implementers over the head.

	Scott