Re: iterators

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 44 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 44 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

scgmille@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Well, they are still iterators, the difference is that instead of an iterator object which is mutated as in other languages, we behave functionally, returning a new state object from iterator-next.

My question is: is the word "iterator" common for this kind
of non-mutable iterator?  If not, perhaps another name, like
"position" might be better.  "cursor" is another possibility.

One problem with the proposed model is that it requires *three*
function calls for each iteration - and they all have relatively
long names.  This cries out for a macro to make iteration less
verbose.  (There are also performance implications of using three
calls per iteration.)
--
	--Per Bothner