stream-partition is not incremental

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 40 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 40 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

I hope this comment is still relevant, as I joined the
discussion rather late.  It intersects somewhat with
the discussions on space retention and stream-unfoldn.

The reference implementation of stream-partition
appears to evaluate the entire stream before returning
any results.  As such, it has no advantages over a
function that operates on lists.

;; Obvious quick fix:  This tests each element twice,
;; and it may have problems with space retention.
(define (stream-partition pred? strm)
  (values
    (stream-filter pred? strm)
    (stream-filter (lambda (x) (not (pred? x)))
strm)))

It might be possible to write a stream-partition that
was incremental but still tested each element only
once.  However, I think it would require explicit
shared state between the two result streams.