Re: Ready to finalize SRFI 38.

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 38 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 38 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Marc Feeley wrote:

>I took a quick last look and found something unexpected:

>Why does <indexnum> allow a radix?  When is such a thing useful?  This
>is a problem for Gambit because it allows symbols to start with a "##"
>prefix.  So for example ##o12# is a symbol, but SRFI-38 would treat
>this as if it were #10# .  Is there any rationale for this?

I didn't think it was useful, but I got a request for allowing
it to be formatted with different radixes, etc.  Since R5RS
doesn't specifically mention symbols starting with # as a
possibility, I figured this was the simplest way to handle it.

If it will actually break stuff in Gambit, would the person who
asked for radix variants, etc, please explain why it's a good
idea?  Because if nobody convinces me, I'm willing to yank it out.

			Ray