Re: raise should not change continuation

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 34 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 34 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

>> The text in SRFI 18 you're referring to talks about primitives.
>> SRFI 34 doesn't say anything about how primitives raise exceptions.
>>
>> The specifications of RAISE and WITH-EXCEPTION-HANDLER in SRFI 18
>> don't say anything about the dynamic environment or the continuation
>> of the exception handler.  The single example given doesn't constrain
>> this further, either.

Marc> But "raise" is a primitive so I don't see how a Scheme implementation
Marc> that conforms to SRFI 18 can also conform to SRFI 34 as currently
Marc> defined.

Obviously, we're running into subtle issues concerning the semantics
of English.  Maybe some other native speakers can clarify how they
read this.

But the way I read SRFI 18, RAISE doesn't "raise an exception" itself:
it calls the exception handler.  One of the problems in SRFI 18 is
that the term "exception" is poorly defined.  In the sense of SRFI 34
("exception" = "exceptional situation"), the exceptional occurred
*before* the call to RAISE---the call itself is merely an indication
that it happened.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike