The boolean eqv function & n-ary generalisation of associative ops

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 33 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 33 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

    From: Marc Feeley <feeley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    > I also discovered a bug in the spec for n-ary eqv. This is true:
    >   (eqv i j) = (not (xor i j))
    > But it does not generalise to the n-ary case. That is, it is *NOT TRUE*
    > that
    >   (eqv i ...)  =  (not (xor i ...))

    Are you sure? I've always thought that (eqv i ...) = (not (xor i ...)) .
    What does eqv mean anyway?

EQV is the boolean equals predicate: x eqv y is true iff x=y:
  x   y   x=y
  -----------
  #f  #f  #t
  #f  #t  #f
  #t  #f  #f
  #t  #t  #t
It's pretty easy to see that this is the same as "not (x xor y)."
Ok, so far, so good.

Now draw up a little three-input / eight-row truth table, and you
will see that eqv is associative, but that its associative n-ary
generalisation is *not* the same as "(not (xor x y z))". Too bad.
      x  y  z   x=(y=z)     (x=y)=z	~(x xor y xor z)
    (#f #f #f):      #f     	 #f                   #t
    (#f #f #t):      #t 	 #t		      #f
    (#f #t #f):      #t 	 #t		      #f
    (#f #t #t):      #f 	 #f		      #t
    (#t #f #f):      #t 	 #t		      #f
    (#t #f #t):      #f 	 #f		      #t
    (#t #t #f):      #f 	 #f		      #t
    (#t #t #t):      #t 	 #t		      #f

Now, any time we have an associative two-argument function, it's a good
idea to make it n-ary. Consider +, for example. If you see
  (+ a b c)
you don't have to wonder, "Is that a+(b+c) or is that (a+b)+c?" It's the same.
(It's the same in Scheme anyway... not in C. But we digress.) It's annoying
in Scheme to ask people to write
  (+ (+ a b) c)
or
  (+ a (+ b c))
when there's *no distinction* and
  (+ a b c)
is so much clearer and easier to read... especially when a, b & c are
complex expressions themselves. So we do the n-ary generalisation.

OK, eqv is associative, so we should go ahead and make it n-ary, so that
people can write the simpler and easier to read
  (bitwise-eqv a b c d)
instead of the equivalent
  (bitwise-eqv a (bitwise-eqv b (bitwise-eqv c d)))
(echhh) just as with +.

BUT, just because
  (bitwise-eqv (bitwise-eqv a b) c)  =   (bitwise-eqv a (bitwise-eqv b c))
that does not mean that
  (bitwise-eqv a b c) = (bitwise-not (bitwise-xor a b c))
It doesn't. See the truth table above.

OK?

Just for a little context, play this game: ask yourself, "How many functions
are there from two booleans to a boolean?" Go ahead; work it out. Then you will
see that SRFI 33 provides a name for every one of them, and defines one
operation for each such function mapping that function over a pair of
semi-infinite bit strings: bit x bit -> bit.

That is the *core idea* underlying that part of the library. Generalising
to n-ary bitstring ops where convenient is icing on the cake.
    -Olin