Re: gettext-based localization

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 29 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 29 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

> I.e. instead of having to come up with a MESSAGE-TAG for each
> message, why not use the primary-language "MESSAGE" as it's own
> template?  This is much simpler and convenient, plus of course
> it is compatible with the GNU gettext paradigm, which I think is
> desirable.  (Primary-language need not mean English, of course, but
> it should be one that both the programmers and likely translators
> are comfortable with.)

Also, using the primary language as the tag discourages clean
localization patterns, where the author of the code should be collecting
his locale dependent messages in one place so that translators can
easily translate the messages without having to seek them out in the
code.  Or, if the primary language programmer wants to make a
change in said primary language, he has to search out the string in his
code as well.

	Scott