Re: useful additional procedure for random bytes?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 27 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 27 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

> From: David Rush <kumo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 18 Feb 2002 17:20:14 +0000

> Bengt Kleberg <eleberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > since most cryptographical
> > algorithms use not integers, but arrays of bytes,
>
> This opens up another whole can of worms, since Scheme doesn't have
> bytes. This is one of my pet peeves. I'm not terribly sure that going
> down this road is a good idea.

An SRFI with bytes might be a good idea.

> > perhaps a list (of specified length), with integers 0-255 as items,
> > would be the most versatile value of such a procedure.
>
> Except that you can already generate range-limited integers, so I
> think there's no real loss here.

I suppose you mean generating several integers in the range 0-255?
That is a sufficient solution, I did not think far enough.

bengt