Re: changes in the design of SRFI-26

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 26 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 26 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 06:50:35PM +0100, sebastian.egner@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

[snip]

> Ad 4)
>
> To keep the matter short: I have decided to change the name of
> the game into CUT.

I am very glad to hear this.

> Cut as in "section", and c.u.t. as in "curry upon
> this",
> "can use this", "curry under the hood (or not)?", etc. ;-)
>
> I am still not so much impressed by the arguments and the polemic
> for or against the names. However, the style of the discussion shows
> me that the SRFI can benefit from a different name.

As has been pointed out to me by some kind person in private e-mail,
my style of discussion was poor. I apologise for that.

Nevertheless, I think the name curry was controversial (not just by me)
and I am extremely glad it has been changed.

> During some
> conceptual blockbusting on that I felt that shortening the name
> might still be a good idea (as proposed several times) and from
> CWIC it was led to CUT.
>
> It is difficult for me to pull myself together not to become cynical
> about the name discussion, but I will continue to listen to everything
> that is said in the discussion forum. So please tell me what you think
> about it. I have already given up hope for universal popularity, so
> never mind speaking up :-)

You *do* know what `cut' means in Prolog, don't you? ;-)
[Ducks and runs.]

Greetings,

Stephan