Re: Can array-ref return (values ...) ?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 25 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 25 are here. Eventually, the entire history will be moved there, including any new messages.

> > I'm trying to put together an implementation of arrays that will
> > serve my current purposes.  At one point, I basically wanted
> >
> > (array-ref a i j k ...)
> >
> > to return (values ...).
> >
> > So I looked at this SRFI and it doesn't seem that this is a real
> > problem (OK, it would be a problem with array-set!, but perhaps one
> > wants read-only arrays without array-set! to be possible.)
>
> I don't understand. Array-ref by me returns the contents of a single
> element, so that would be just (values v) which is just v.

Yes, it returns the contents of a single element, but what are the contents
of a single element?  (I find it interesting that you used the word "contents"
rather than "content".  Either would be correct, of course.)  Can it be
(values a b)?  If not, why not?  And if not, perhaps it should be
documented to be not possible.

Brad