Re: SRFI-22 -- What won't work (small addition)

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 22 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 22 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

>> From: sperber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor]

Bengt> ...deleted
Bengt> It is unspecified what a first line starting with '#!' means. Ie, to be
Bengt> portable, do not use one.

Bengt> Posix anyone?

Bengt> PS I still stand by my previous email stating my remembering that '#!/'
Bengt> works everywhere, whereas '#!/' does not work on certain (very rare)
Bengt> Unices that read and compare 4 bytes of a file.

>> Ermh, I it does seems as though the stuff within quotes in your mail
>> is sometimes lacking a character or two.  When you say "do not use
>> one," what do you mean by "one?"

Bengt> Sorry about that. It should have been (as I hope it was the first time):
Bengt> '#! /' works everywhere, whereas '#!/' does not work on certain (very
Bengt> rare) Unices

Bengt> Do not use one => Do not use a first line with '#!' as the first
Bengt> characters (to be portable according to the (Single) Unix Spec).

I'm still confused.  What then *can* I use to guarantee a text file will
run as a script?  Could you post the exact URL of what the Single Unix
Spec says about scripts?

--
Cheers =8-} Mike