Re: SRFI-22 -- What won't work

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 22 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 22 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Olin> * Point one: Sharp-bang is not recursive
Olin> ----------------------------------------
Olin>     From: Marc Feeley <feeley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Olin>     Well it could be the executable for the interpreter, but it could also
Olin>     be a shell script that execs the appropriate underlying interpreter
Olin>     (Gambit, Scheme48, etc) after doing some administrative checks (that
Olin>     the user has permission to run the interpreter, logging the use of
Olin>     a Scheme script, or whatever).  For example, I can perfectly imagine
Olin>     Gambit's interpreter to reside in "gsi" and "scheme-script"
Olin>     is a shell script like this

Olin>        #! /bin/sh
Olin>        ... parse command line options BUT DON'T CHANGE THE ENVIRONMENT!
Olin>        exec gsi ...

Olin> Unfortunately, Marc, that won't work. It ought to, but it doesn't.

Note that Marc was talking about an issue quite unrelated to what
you're talking about.

The point is well taken, however, that the SRFI should specify that a
script interpreter is a real binary, not a shell script.  Next
revision, I guess.

Olin> While I'm at it, let me remind y'all of another losing feature of Unix'
Olin> lame kernel support for #!.

Note that the SRFI doc is already explicit about this.

Olin> Let's see:
Olin>     /usr/local/bin/scm-ieee-1178-90
Olin> That's 31 characters. Oops.

Olin> My advice: make these program names *short* and highly coded

Suggestion for this specific case?

--
Cheers =8-} Mike