Some stuff on the #!...!# and more

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 22 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 22 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

This is a comment on the #!...!# thing.  I think that more Schemes
implement a #|...|# multiline comment, which is why the srfi says that
the suggestion is not to add another comment construct but handle this
specifically as a preprocessor.  So my comment is that given the fact
that #|...|# is usually used, then there is no need for the ugly and
one-line-limited

  #!/bin/sh
  string=? ; shell-command

hack, since you can achieve the same effect with

  #!/bin/sh
  #|
  shell stuff, ends in an exec
  |#

Also, I don't know how reliable this is but I think that Unix systems
are supposed to have /bin/sh available - the man page for system
specifies using "/bin/sh -c string" to do its job.

The last comment is that I think it is more common, and therefore
would be better accepted, to stick to a command line flag to load some
library (as in "-l srfi0" instead of "-srfi0") and just some
specification of the way arguments are made available to the program
(as a global command-line-arguments binding or something similar)
which would simplify things by allowing the "-e expression" flag that
many Scheme's have.