Re: continuations and threads

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 18 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 18 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

> >> Sure, but I don't think SML/NJ actually *detects* that it's still
> >> relevant.  (The GC could, I guess.)  This means that the retained C
> >> frame may still keep data alive which is really dead.  This might
> >> create a space leak.
>
> Jim> Roland did this work for Olin Shivers' group at MIT; I don't know if
> Jim> it has made it into the main distribution.  But that's correct --- you
> Jim> need the GC to tell you when KS2 is garbage, and thus C2 can be
> Jim> destroyed.
>
> And does Roland's implementation do that?  I imagine this being pretty
> hard to do, especially if the GC is written in C: you want to remove C
> frames *underneath* the current one without affection the ongoing
> evaluation.

I'm sorry --- you'll have to explain the scenario you have in mind in
more detail.

The specific action you propose never takes place, because it violates
this rule, which I quoted before:

- When we destroy a C frame, all younger C frames must also be destroyed.

Can you describe a situation where this needs to happen?