Re: where is srfi-17 going?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 17 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 17 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Per> On the other hand, with Kawa's define-alias compiled with generalized
Per> set! you can ensure data structure integrity with opaque types,
Per> while still using the convenient and natural variable/set! syntax.

doofus> But we don't have Kawa's DEFINE-ALIAS in this SRFI, now do we? As it
doofus> stands, SRFI-17 opens a wide door for bad data-structure manipulation
doofus> techniques. On that basis, I still don't like it.

Actually, I overstated my case. You get bad behavior only if you ask
for it. So in that case the proposal gives programmers their just
rewards. I guess that I'm mostly back to my harmless annoyance
opinion, but I still contend that the first class location
implications of this proposal are worthy of note...

david rush
--
*think* before you send...especially at 2AM