Re: perhaps I've missed something ...

>>>>> "John" == John Clements <clements@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

John> Let me clarify.  I have nothing against syntactic abstraction.  My
John> concern is primarily with the unnecessary overloading of the set!
John> primitive.  Replace set! with set-location! (or set-l! if you prefer)
John> and you have a language extension which
John> a) I would not personally use, but
John> b) I would not object to (much).

I totally agree.

SET! modifies a *binding* which is a meta-level entity.

SET-CAR! and friends modify *data structures* which are object-level
entities.

These are (to my mind) very different conceptually.  Let's keep their
names separate.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike