Re: Sample implementation

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 17 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 17 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Lars Thomas Hansen <lth@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I hacked up a sample implementation that, as far as I can tell, covers
> the entire specification (Alternative 1 because I'm lazy).

Thanks!  That looks pretty good.  Two nits:

> (define-syntax set! let*
>   (syntax-rules ()
>     ((set! (?e0 ?e1 ...) ?v)
>      ((setter ?e0) ?e1 ... ?v))
>     ((set! ?i ?v)
>      (set! ?i ?v))))

Why the question-marks?  It makes it look like they have
some syntactic signifigance, but it is really just a
naming convention.  Is it a common naming convention?
I haven't really it noticed before.  To me (who have done
my of my programing in C/C++/Java), the question marks are
visually distracting.

>              (set-setter!
>               (lambda (proc setter)
>                 (set! setters (cons (cons proc setter) setters))
>                 (unspecified))))

Some implementors may just use the sample implementation,
though that is of course a bad idea for code that actually
uses setters heavily.  We could at least make sure that the
setters list doesn't fill up with duplicates.  (I realize I did
propose that changing a setter should be undefined, in which
case the concern duplicates is irrelevant.  However, you yourself
suggested that we should allow setters to be redefined.)

             (set-setter!
              (lambda (proc setter)
                (let ((probe (assq proc setters)))
                  (if probe