Re: specification by implications and example

Matthias Felleisen <matthias@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> In this specific case, I think we would like to see something like
>
>     "
>      (set! exp exp)			  expression
>
>      The lhs is evaluated with a left-hand side
>      evaluator. If the evaluation does not yield a
>      reference, an error is signaled. If it does,
>      the reference is modified.
>     "
>
> if this is what you intend. As of now, I am sorry, but I simply don't
> understand the proposal.

No, this is not my proposal.  I agree that would require more serious
specification, specifically of the new concerpts "left-hand side
evaluator" and "reference".  That might be an interesting extension
to Scheme, but it is not this proposal.  (I have in Kawa implemented
a "location" concept which is like a first-class reference.  I even
mentioned that as a possible future SRFI in my first draft, but the
editors convinced me to leave it out to avoid confusion ...)
--
	--Per Bothner
per@xxxxxxxxxxx   http://www.bothner.com/~per/