let-fluid problem

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 15 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 15 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

I would like to argue against any DYNAMIC-WIND + SET! sort of
"fluid variable" system. The problem is threads. If you have a
thread model, then any thread switch involves unwinding up the
stack to the common ancestor continuation, then winding down into
the activated continuation. This seems unacceptably expensive; thread
switch should be a low-overhead operation.

Because of this issue, I strongly prefer making fluid variables
a primitive construct. Scheme48's system is a pretty canonical example
of this genre. "Fluid variables" are data structures. So you have the
following primitive procedures:
   (MAKE-FLUID value) -> fluid
   (LET-FLUID fluid value thunk)
   (LET-FLUIDS fluid1 value1 ... fluidn valuen thunk)
   (FLUID fluid) -> value
   (SET-FLUID! fluid value)
There are no primitive syntax forms. This design is not unique to S48;
I believe it was proposed by someone other than Kelsey & Rees, and
is used elsewhere (but I can't recall who or where).

Fluid values are cells that have dynamic scope, as provided by LET-FLUID.
You typically bind them to global vars, e.g.
    (define $cwd (make-fluid #f))
    (define (with-cwd dir thunk) (let-fluid $cwd dir thunk))
Throwing in or out of LET-FLUID scope does the right thing, as you'd want.

Single-threaded implementations can provide fluids using DYNAMIC-WIND,
*but* multithreaded implementatins can implement fluids using deep
binding techniques, providing fast thread switch. This is not possible
with a system that actually effects variables.

If we're going to propose a dynamic-binding system, we should be careful
to do one that will work in both multi-threaded as well as single-threaded
systems -- that's planning ahead.
    -Olin