RE: Char sets, Unicode & deadline

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 14 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 14 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Brad,

> Yes, but if you don't want to implement this option, and I don't, it
> takes an hour for pred->cs to return on my Alpha.

As it would if you passed cs:full to cs-filter, which I am surmising would
be the simple and portable I-dont-want-to-limit-myself-to-7bit option.  And
if you specify cs:ascii to pred->cs, it will work just as you want cs-filter
to work.  pred->cs is just cs-filter with different default parameters.

> I don't see this.  Olin's email only mentions ASCII once in

cs-filter must start from some specified cs; my fear (and experience) is
that a client will explicitly code cs:ascii instead of cs:letter+digit, or
the appropriate union of more specific charsets.  I don't want to lock out
the Latin-1 chars by default.

With lazy filtering, I was also hoping to avoid redundantly reflecting the
system Unicode character table within the Scheme image.  Given the presence
of iterators and cs->list, perhaps this is futile.  You have the advantage
over me of having actually implemented this SRFI.

Whatever is decided, as long as we don't call pred 2**16 times by default,
I'm happier than otherwise.  I'm done.

Ben