tail-recursive string-any string-every

The functions string-any and string-every are defined such that the
last predicate application on the final element is a tail call.  Is
there any point to this?  I.e. can we realiztically imagine an
application that will really benefit?  I can imagine applications
being *hurt* by this requirement:
(1) This precludes string-any string-every being implemented in a
low-level language that does not support tail calls, such as C.
(2) If a Scheme implementation provides two modes:  One that is
support proper tail calls and one that doesn't (because that is faster),
it requires compiling string-any string-every using the slower
compilation mode.

Could we remove this requirement?  (I know it is late ...)
--
	--Per Bothner
per@xxxxxxxxxxx   http://www.bothner.com/~per/